Monday, June 9, 2008

Inception

"an event that is a beginning; a first part or stage of subsequent events [syn: origin] " Source:WordNet v 3.0

This is the reason I created this space, to post words I wasn't sure I knew the definition of.

I have a habit of , when reading, being compelled to find out the meaning of a particular word or phrase. Eventhough I could probably figure out what is being discussed by context clue, I desire to know exactly what the author meant. The converse of my compulsion is that I often use words incorrectly because I like the color of the sound of the word.

I use one of two sources of information: a dictionary.com "gadget" on my iGoogle homepage or webster.com (Merriam-Webster online). I know, it sounds too good to be true, a legitimate answer from a website that has what you need in the title (I wouldn't buy checks from www.checks.com) but I enjoy it bacuse it gives a plethora of definitions from various sites. Though I use it less frequently now, I also like Merriam-Webster because of their history and choice of word use.

On smart days when I have no word I needed to look up, I'll post wikipedia entries, as I find my need to understand a person/place/thing just as demanding.

I will also post a picture from Flickr.com that has said word somehow associated with it. This could be the title of the photo, a group pool it was in, or tagged with metadata by users, someway somehow someone though the photo was linked to the word.

Lets see how this goes,
Daniel



"Grape - wring me" by ckaroli





No comments: